View Single Post
Old April 6th 17, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default How to make a double-click only affect the clicked-on file ?

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 1:06:38 AM UTC-6, R.Wieser wrote:
Lee,

But you're focussing on something I did not ask for.

It does appear so, I'll admit to more than some confusion about the issue.

What I *really* want to know (at least as a first thing) is if there is a
setting/method to limit the reach of a double-click. If that is available I
could not care less about the ALT (or any other) key appearing to be sticky.

In order for an otherwise innocent double click to invoke several files at once one normally has to have been in that folder before and single clicked on an object which highlights it. Returning to that window then one needs to be scrolled down where you don't see the highlighted item or it would be obvious, then one needs to double click another item with the Shift key held down. All files between the first highlighted item and the double clicked item will try to run with their default program and all at once.

The 'reach' of that type of selection of files and invoking same is unlimited to my knowledge at least when it comes to copy/cut for pasting, unless I again am not on the subject at hand? I have only tried a large selection in XP though.

Playing around here with XP and I can not run more than a fraction of a screen's worth without a warning popping up asking if I really want to run all those files? But XP is not 98 and 98 may not have such oversight. And if it did, I wouldn't know where to find it. And I'm not really sure I am talking about the same thing you are. Yet.

Yes, a sticky ALT or CTRL key (c|w)ould than still bring up dialogs, but
none as potentionally dangerous as starting a slew of programs, scripts and
batch files I have in a particular folder.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Yes, don't want that ever. I'll rename my more malignant batch files to txt files just for that reason.

There are just too many key presses needed to do what is going on. One can select and highlight a file starting with g just by pressing the g key, but it usually scrolls into view, then by other valid keyboard shortcuts it just might be possible to fire up the lot of them. And I'm thinking now you possibly have some keyboard program or setting that is supplying these key presses? I've never done such work but I do recall reading about various keyboard set up strings that one can use to effect a change in the normal way the system uses the keyboard. You use a PS2 keyboard I assume?

Back from a cursory look about for something along the lines I was thinking and got sidetracked by a bunch of stuff such as this
http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/keyb.htm

ScanCode Show - of note, I believe you mentioned needing this
Quickey - flushing of keyboard buffer is available here (possibly)
StuffIt - might be useful for sending that ALT press you don't want to

You may have sticky keys turned on. And other Accessibility Options at work.. Found under Help in windows it will show how to turn them off at least. Search emacs for some extra confusion, perhaps one of your text editors does emacs mode or some other program you use? It may come down to a faulty keyboard? I had misery for better than a year due to broken wires in my mouse cord, had it not been just happenstance that out of frustration I wrap the cord around and held it under my thumb and like magic the symptoms just disappeared, I would still be fighting that battle. My own keyboard flashes the LEDs above the numeric keypad when I pick it up - I suspect some wires here too. But no problems I can complain about yet.