PDA

View Full Version : win98se nav errors

Cornfused
May 17th 04, 05:36 PM
Win98SE with norton antivirus/ when boot up get General Protection fault error #35 = NAVDX.OVL errored at :04a8
Don't understand this as there is nothing in the floppy drive which is what the symantec site states this error refers to
When I shut down from my desktop after being online, I get the blue screen of death

Tried updating all drivers- but says have best ones already

Anyone know how to fix?
Appreciate your knowledge where mine falls short

spurkbik201
May 18th 04, 11:36 AM
Confused,

Am getting same error message with Win98SE and Norton Antivirus 2003
only in the last few days. I do not get the blue screen of death
though. Ran full virus scan, nothing found. Uninstalling and
reinstalling NAV did not clear message. Symantec website indicates in
general that this error 35 has to do with the rescue disks, but none
of the help articles mentioned about this at boot up. I updated my
rescue disks on floppies hoping might do something to clear message,
but did not. Emailed their tech support - great answer, but to
someone else's question.

Hope someone has an answer. If this truly? has to do with the rescue
disks, is it really anything to worry about?

Confused Scott

Cornfused > wrote in message >...
> Win98SE with norton antivirus/ when boot up get General Protection fault error #35 = NAVDX.OVL errored at :04a8
> Don't understand this as there is nothing in the floppy drive which is what the symantec site states this error refers to
> When I shut down from my desktop after being online, I get the blue screen of death
>
> Tried updating all drivers- but says have best ones already
>
> Anyone know how to fix?
> Appreciate your knowledge where mine falls short

Cornfused
May 18th 04, 09:31 PM
I've been looking into Symanctec site and Microsoft site and found this:

Error: "Error 35, General Protection Fault in NAVDX.OVL..." after installing Norton AntiVirus
After installing NAV5 restart computer and process stops at a blue Windows screen. If press Esc key you see error message, "Error 35, Gen Protection Fault in NAVDX.OVL. Not enough mem to run NAV command line scanner." It displays the memory registers and then displays, "Memory allocation error... System halted."
Solution:
1. Click Start, Shut Down, Click Restart, OK
2. Press F8 or hold down Ctrl key when you see "Starting Windows...."
3. Choose "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only." The computer will then boot to DOS prompt.
4. Type the following commands; press Enter after each one:
path=c:\;c:\windows;c:\windows\command
ren config.sys config.nor
edit config.sys
5. The blue edit screen should be completely blank. Type device=c:\windows\himem.sys /m:1, press Enter
6. Press Alt+F then the letter X.
7. Type the letter Y when prompted to save changes.
8. Type edit autoexec.bat press Enter.
9. At the top of the edit screen you should see: @ C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /STARTUP
10. Make sure the cursor is at the extreme left of that line, then press Enter to insert a new line.
11. Place the cursor on the blank line you have just created, and then type: set dos16m=2
12. Press Alt+F, then press letter X.
13. Type the letter Y when prompted to save changes
14. At the DOS prompt turn computer off, wait 10secs, turn back on, let it restart normally.

I am about to try this when I sign off- couldn't figure out how to boot in safe mode- just found that:

To start a Windows 98-based computer in Safe mode, use any of the following methods.
Method 1
1. Restart your computer.
2. While your computer restarts, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.

NOTE: If you are using the EZDrive tool, press F8 instead of CTRL.
3. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.
Method 2
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
2. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.
3. Click Advanced, and then click to select the Enable Startup Menu check box.
4. Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
5. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.
Method 3
1. Insert a non-bootable floppy disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you receive the "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready" error message, remove the floppy disk from the floppy disk drive.
3. Press F8, and then press F8. When you do this, the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
4. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.
Method 4
1. Restart your computer in MS-DOS Mode.
2. From a command prompt type "win /d:m" without the quotation marks.

Hours of fun and hoping this will work.

spurkbik201
May 19th 04, 07:42 AM
As hoped, Symantec came out with a fix for this. Received a NAV
automatic update dated 5/18 and downloaded/installed on my PC late
yesterday eve and error message has disappeared on last bootup of PC.

Scott

Cornfused
May 20th 04, 05:51 AM
All the safe mode stuff didn't work--put the PCI bus to default
thought that did the trick- but maybe it was the update that did it....

Fixed now anyways