PDA

View Full Version : Transferring data (programs/files/folders) to larger HDD with upgraded OS

Robert
May 31st 04, 04:51 PM
I have two computers that have run out of HDD space, and I need to transfer the data to larger drives. One currently uses Win95 and the other Win98. I want to upgrade them both to the more universally compatible Win98se when I transfer the data. (I'm not prepared to move up to XP.)

I was told about a method of transferring data between drives after installing an upgraded OS on the new drive (as opposed to a straight diskcopy). [See comments by MS MVP Jeff Richards, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?query=installing+new+HDD+on+PC+with+W in98se&dg=microsoft.public.win98.setup&cat=en-us-technet-win9x&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=DABB766C-C802-4626-A24B-E65EE2D5DF31%2CA8EA14B8-66CC-48DF-BE4E-C9A88CEAE316&dglist=&ptlist=]

I have the retail versions of Win95 and Win98, but only an OEM version of Win98se from another system I own. If I try Jeff's procedure, which files/folders from the Windows folder on the old drive should I transfer from to the new Windows folder, and which ones should I avoid? Plus, are there any registry changes I should make to do this successfully?

If not, is there some other way to do what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks everyone for your assistance!