PDA

View Full Version : Re: Installing new HD on PC with WIn 98SE

Robert
May 30th 04, 03:16 AM
Thanks Jeff for the great info. Unfortunately, I couldn't try it right away because I ran into a boot failure. My motherboard suddenly stopped recognizing the keyboard. I was finally able to get it to boot by trying a USB keyboard. Turns out I had a PS/2 port failure.

I have two computers that I want to try your transfer procedure on. One uses Win95 and the other Win98. I decided I want to try upgrading them both to more universally compatible OS while I'm upgrading the hard drives. I'm wondering if your procedure would also work between HDDs with different OS? (I have the retail versions of Win95 and Win98, but only an OEM version of Win98se from another system I own). If so, what files/folders from the old Windows folder should I transfer to the new Windows folder, and what should I avoid. If not, is there some other way to do what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks for your assistance!

Robert
May 31st 04, 04:36 PM
Hi Jeff -

Let me clarify my 5-29-04 reply. I assume you were suggesting that I try using your method of transferring data between different OS (i.e., Win95/98 to Win98se). But, if I transfer old Windows files/folders manually after installing Win98se on the new drive (everything except the swapfile), how do I determine which files are duplicate/unnecessary, and which ones might conflict with the new OS?

-Robert